Philarmonic Band of Lefkada
The Philharmonic Band of Lefkada was established in 1850 by highly esteemed Lefkadians with Lady Dorina (Chrysoula) Kalkani-Petritsopoulou, an art loving and progressive woman, Aristotelis Valaoritis, a national poet, and Panos Stefanitsis, a rentier, in the forefront.
It is the oldest society in the region and the second oldest Philharmonic society in Greece. During its long life it has seen glorious days and has earned many important awards. In 1864 the Society performed to celebrate the Union of the Seven Islands with Greece. In 1896 it took part in the First Modern Olympic Games of Athens. In 1906 it participated in the Intercalated Games of Athens (the only Philharmonic Society from the Seven Islands) and in 1983 it was honoured with the Award of the Academy of Athens.
The Philharmonic Band was the first association that presented theatrical plays and other performances during the 19th century. It carried the burden of the intellectual and artistic activity of Lefkada and it never ceased its operation, not even during extremely harsh periods for the island and the country.
It is housed in a building at the Old Town of Lefkada that also includes a small museum on the ground floor.
More information at www.filarmoniki.gr
Society of Lefkadian Studies
The Society of Lefkadian Studies is the only scientific association of Lefkada that contributes to the studying of Lefkada’s past by mobilising and coordinating the scientific powers that serve the Eptanesian and Lefkadian studies, with remarkable success, as it is evident by its organisational work (24 conferences and symposia and many tribute and anniversary workshops) and its publishing work (67 books) from 1970 until today.
More information at: http://lefkadika.gr/
Orpheus of Lefkada
The Musical and Literary Club of Lefkada “ORPHEUS 1937” was founded in 1937 and it has been an association of great cultural activity and offer. For this kind of miscellaneous versatile activity and offer it received the Award of the Academy of Athens in 1993.
The first public performance of the Mandolin Band (Mandolinata) took place in January 1938 with 40 members. Since then and for the next 35 years it was one of the most active departments of the Club. It had been performing continuously under the guidance of remarkable chief musicians and the participation of the choir of Orpheus but in 1973 a major earthquake ruined the Club’s building and the rain that followed destroyed a big part of the equipment. In 1982, after many years of absence, the newly re-established Mandolinata reappeared under the direction of maestro Dionysios Grapsas. In the 1990s Antreas Sgouropoulos took over as director. The Mandolin Band was accompanied by children’s choir with 15 members. From 2000 to 2010 the Mantolinata suspended its operations because of the destruction of the instruments. In December 2010, with the aim to preserve and promote the Eptanesian musical tradition, the administrative board of Orpheus decided the restart of the historic Mantolinata. In December 2014 musical instruments were bought. The Mantolinata started rehearsing in January 2015 under the direction of Konstantinos Tsintzas, the maestro of the Mixed Choir, and in August 1915 performed its first concert accompanied by the Club’s Mixed Choir.
The folkloric dance department of Orpheus was established in 1960, with the purpose of saving and preserving the traditional dances, songs and events of Lefkada, the Seven Islands and the rest of Greece. It has a rich wardrobe in its possession with traditional costumes from all the parts of the country. The training level of those who continuously research and teach about the folklore dances is the guarantee for technically flawless results, always within the context of tradition.
The Club is the meeting point of those who love and are systematically concerned with Greek dancing. It was one of the three dancing groups that took part in the first international Folklore Festival of Lefkada and up to now it performs in it every single year. It has participated in almost every folklore festival in Greece and abroad (Italy, France, Great Britain, Spain, Sweden, Luxemburg, Switzerland, the former Czechoslovakia, the former Yugoslavia, Poland, Hungary, Turkey, Ukraine and Malta) where it received honorary awards and complimentary comments. In 2012 Orpheus celebrated 75 years of cultural offering and 50 years of participating in the International Folklore Festival of Lefkada.
Furthermore, the Club maintains a children’s choir department and a musical instruments department.
Finally, Orpheus runs a Folklore Museum that is open to the public.
Nea Horodia of Lefkada
The Music and Dance Club “Nea Horodia of Lefkada” was founded in 1964 with the aim to preserve the Eptanesian musical tradition and to contribute to the development and the advance of intellect, art and culture in Lefkada. It consists of a Mixed Choir, a Dancing Department for children and one for adults.
Thanks to the perfect training of the dancers and the great variety of particularly beautiful traditional costumes, the Dancing Department has given many impressive performances. It has performed traditional dances from all over Greece, using the proper outfits from the Seven Islands, Epirus, Thessaly, Macedonia, Thrace, the Aegean Archipelagos and Asia Minor. It has also performed very successfully in folklore festivals abroad, like in France, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, Germany, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia etc. It has participated in special shows for the Greek, the Italian and the French television. It is a member of the International Organisation of Folk Art (IOV – UNESCO).
The traditional event of “Barcarola takes place every August in the western canal of the town under the auspices of Nea Horodia of Lefkada.
For more information: www.neaxorodia.gr
Folk Dancing Club Pegasus of Lefkada
The Club was established in 1990 in order to maintain, preserve and promote, through teaching, the traditional dancing heritage, while having a strong presence in the cultural events of Lefkada and Greece in general. The main founder was the late Spyros Politis, a teacher of Physical Education, who stood as a leader and guide until his last breath. 250 dancers of all ages in the Club have the ability to experience the Greek musical and dancing tradition, as it is preserved in the countryside, thus securing its continuance. There are departments for children, teenagers and adults.
The Club has costumes from several regions of Greece and performs dances, songs and events from all around Greece. It has taken part in many international folklore festivals, in Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Belgium, Austria, Turkey, Serbia and most of the Greek cities. It has also appeared on the Greek and the Italian television. Pegasus and its activities are based on the amateur creativity, the enthusiasm and the love of its member.
For more information: www.pigasoslefkadas.wordpress.com
Apollon of Karya
The music and literature Apollon is a representative of the village of Karya. It has a rich cultural activity to display due to its constant presence and contribution. Its origins date back to the 1930s, when the first discussions about cultural actions were made. The intense cultural interests led to the idea of establishing the Music and Literature Club in 1956, with the aim to preserve and promote the traditions of Lefkada. The development of the dancing department was impressive. Children and young peopled aged 7 to 35 are members of the dancing departments. The Club has participated in most folklore festivals of Greece (for example. Agrinio, Dafni, Thessalonica, Livadia, Xanthi, Preveza, Siatista, Filiatra) as well as in many international ones, in Italy, France, Turkey, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Rumania and Bulgaria. Since 1963 it has been a constant participant of the International Folklore Festival of Lefkada.
Apollon has created a folklore museum that is housed in the building of the Elementary School of Karya.
For more information: www.apollonkaryas.gr
Cultural Club of Nikiana “Skari”
The Cultural Club of Nikiana “I Skari” was established in April 1991 with the purpose of advancing the cultural, intellectual and educational status of its members and the region in general. The club nowadays has over 150 members and has shown intense cultural activity, especially in the last six years.
Apart from the cultural events and the departments that it has created, the Club has also contributed and helped in matters that concern the village and its inhabitants. The pursuit of the Club is to keep helping the region and its people in the future, particularly the children, by creating alternatives and solutions to the problems of the modern-time society. The Club has a dance group that takes part in all of the island’s events and a theatre group that stands out due to its amazing performances.
For more information: www.skaroi.gr
Cultural Club of Sfakiotes of Lefkada “Foteinos”
The cultural club of Sfakiotes “Foteinos” was officially founded in 1983. Its activity though originated in the 1960s as it is evident by articles in the local newspapers of that era and the narrations of the villagers who were involved with the cultural events of the region. For many years it had been the main agent of the cultural actions in Sfakiotes. Due to the reform in 1990 that created a single municipality, the activities, the officers and the infrastructures of the Club were passed on to the Cultural Centre. When the local municipalities were abolished, the people of the villages saw the need to re-establish the Club. Therefore, since January 2011, a new era began. The dancing department was re-founded. Nowadays it consists of more than fifty dancers. It publishes the newspaper “Sfakiotes” that has been warmly welcomed by the public right from the beginning. It founded a Blood Bank and took part in several events. Furthermore, it has a theatre and a choir department.
For more information: www.foteinos-sfakiotes.gr
Cultural Club of Nydri and the Surrounding Areas “Alexandros”
The Cultural Club of Nydri and the Surrounding Areas “Alexandros” was established in 1990 with Nydri of Lefkada as its seat. The dancing department consists of 5 groups with children from the age of 6 to the age of 18 who are trained in dances from the Seven Islands and many other regions of Greece. “Alexandros” has performed many times up to today in Nydri, in many villages of the island, in the International Folklore Festival and in cities outside Lefkada.
The performances present traditional dances of Lefkada, Eptanisos, Epirus, Macedonia, Thrace, Asia Minor, the Aegean and other regions, with costumes that belong to the Club, accompanied by a traditional orchestra. The activities of “Alexandros” have rendered the Club an important asset of Lefkada and help it continue offering its services to the development and preservation of the cultural heritage.
Educational and Cultural Club of Tsoukalades
The Educational and Cultural Club of Tsoukalades of Lefkada was founded in 1976. The Club aims to preserve and promote the cultural heritage, to publicise the problems of Tsoukalades, to activate its members and the inhabitants to solve these problems, to elevate the intellectual and educational level of the people, to cultivate the spirit of solidarity among its members and the locals at large and to endorse the principles of liberty and the ideas of humanism.
The Cultural Club of Tsoukalades has shown rich activity and has played an important role in the social and cultural events of the area. Every summer it holds the cultural events called “Tsoukaladiotika” with dancing and theatrical performances, music nights, exhibitions, speeches and reanimations of folkloric events.
Nowadays it runs a theatrical department for children as well as dancing departments for both children and adults. The dancing department has performed any times in various villages of Lefkada but also in other Greek cities (Thessalonica, Samos etc)
For more information: www.tsoukalades.blogspot.gr
You will find more Cultural Clubs in Lefkada that are active in smaller villages and participate in events mainly during the summer months, like the Cultural Club of Eglouvi, the Cultural Club of Platystoma “Kokkini Ekklisia” (Red Church), the Society of the Friends of Alexandros “Figos”, the Cultural Club of Pigadisani “Proodos” (Progress), the Cultural Club of Karyotes “Nirikos”, the Cultural Club of Vlyho-Geni “Thealos”, the Sport and Culture Club of Marantohori, the Association of People from Dragano “I Ipapanti tou Kyriou”, the Association of People from Vournika of Lefkada “O Ai Giannis sto Rodaki”, the Cultural Club of Kalamitsi “Neromylos” (Watermill), the Cultural Club of Rahi “Agios Dionysios”, etc.