Archaeological Museum of Lefkada
The Archaeological Museum of Lefkada is housed in the Municipal Cultural Centre of Lefkada since 1999. It hosts the archaeological findings from the broader region of ancient Nirikos and the excavations in Nydri, Hirospilia of Evgiros, Asvotrypa of Fryni, Meganisi and other parts of the island. The exhibits cover a large time period from the Middle Palaeolithic Age to the late Roman times.
It consists of four halls:
In the first hall there are findings from the private and public life of the locals during the historic times (topography of the ancient town, residences, bread, olive and olive oil, wine, trade, fishing, weaving, coins, music). Of special interest are the findings that concern the music: bronze flute keys found in tombs as burial offerings in tombs and a soundbox called “helonio” (turtle shell) with bone keys from an ancient lyre, along with its reconstruction by Giorgos Polyzos, an artist from Epirus.
In the second hall there are texts of ancient literature reports about the ancient deities of the island, accompanied by clay idols and tablets with their depictions. Of special importance is a signet from the late antiquity that represents the abduction of Europe by Zeus in the form of a white bull.
In the third hall there are findings connected with burial customs. Gravestones, stone urns, boxes and offerings from the graveyards of the ancient town are the treasures of this specific department. The exhibition concludes with a representation of a part of the ancient graveyard.
In the fourth hall of the museum there are the findings of W. Dörpfeld who spent many years of excavations on the island supporting his theory that Lefkada was the Homeric Ithaca. There are stone tools from the Middle Palaeolithic Age. The spearheads and the unfinished hand axe of Achelean craftwork are particularly interesting. There are also pots and shells of various styles, clay idols and stone tools from the Neolithic Age. From the Copper Age there are copper tools and weapons, pots, stone tools and representations of jewellery from the tombs of the Early Helladic Period in Steno of Nydri, where Dörpfeld located the capital of Homeric Ithaca, and also findings from graves of the Middle Helladic Period.
Address: A. Sikelianou & 1, N. Svoronou, Lefkada
Open everyday except Monday (08.00 – 14.45)
General entrance: €2, Students: €1. From 11/1/16 to 3/31/17 general entrance is €1.
International Folklore Festival Museum
The foundation of the Museum was decided by the Administrative Council of the Municipal Cultural Centre of Lefkada in order to create a permanent exhibition of the mementos of the (then) fifty years old International Folklore Festival (1962 – 2012). The exhibition was scientifically supported by the Folklore Centre of the Academy of Athens.
The exhibition was hosted in the halls of the Cultural Centre and was inaugurated on the 16th of August 2017 by the then Mayor of Lefkada Kostas Aravanis and the directress of the Folklore Centre Ekaterini Polymerou-Kamilaki.
The exhibition includes objects that are either directly connected with the festival events, such as musical instruments, traditional costumes, records and tapes of traditional music, medals and flags or are parts of commemorative presents of the dance groups that participated in the festival, indicative of the country of origin, such as dolls with traditional costumes, textiles, music records, crystals, souvenirs, information leaflets etc.
In the main space of the floor there are big pictures of dance events of the festival. Special banners with texts in Greek and English introduce the visitors to the theme and the character of the exhibition. The spaces of the museum are organised into thematic subsections. In the first hall there are traditional costumes from Lefkada, photographs about the festival and a special projection screen. The next two halls host traditional costumes of dance groups from countries of the European continent, the Balkans and the Middle East (France, Italy, Serbia, Turkey, Israel etc) and traditional costumes from exotic countries (Korea, Thailand, Mexico etc) accompanied by musical instruments and other mementos.
In the corridor that leads to the halls of the eastern wing there are mementos (country flags), costumes and photographs. In the three hall of the eastern wing there are the artifacts of the collection of the festival’s founder, namely Antonis Tzevelekis, that includes musical instruments, ceramic souvenirs, medals, music records etc. Special showcases contain fabric mementos and dolls with traditional costumes from many countries around the world. There are also a series of costumes, offerings of music and dance groups to the festival and several other souvenirs. The exhibits are accompanied with explanatory texts (captions) in Greek and English.
Address: A. Sikelianou & 1, N. Svoronou, Lefkada
Open everyday (08.30 – 14.00)
“Pantazis Kontomihis” Folklore Museum of the Music and Literature Club “Orfeas”
It is located at 2, Stefanitsi Street in Lefkada, near the town’s central square. It was founded in 1978 and in 2005 it was renamed into “Panatazis Kontomihis” Folklore Museum of Orfeas in honour of the great teacher, writer and folklorist. It holds more than 1000 exhibits, characteristic of the tradition, the culture, the expression and the history of Lefkada, such as utility items of rural life, utensils, traditional costumes, needlework etc. It also hosts a series of urban exhibits and tools of old crafts.
It is open from April to October, everyday except Monday from 10.00 until 13.00 & from 19.00 until 22.00 and from November to March, only on Sundays from 11.00 to 13.00.
General entrance: €2. Entrance is free for people over 65 years and young children.
Information: +302645022778 & +302645022502
Museum of the Philharmonic Society of Lefkada
The Philharmonic Society of Lefkada was founded in 1850. It is the oldest club in the region and the second oldest Philharmonic Society in Greece. In 1864 it performed for the Union of the Ionian Islands with Greece, in 1896 it participated in the First Olympic Games of Athens, in 1906 it took part in the Intercalated Games of Athens (the sole Philharmonic Society from the Ionian Islands) and in 1983 it was honoured with the Academy of Athens Award. Since 1999 it is housed in its own private building in Kontari Street, at the centre of Lefkada.
The small museum of the Philharmonic Society is housed in the ground floor of the building. Among its exhibits there are old musical scores and instruments, old band uniforms and many photographs from its long cultural history.
Visiting the museum is free of charge. It is open from Monday to Friday, from 17.00 until 20.00.
Address: Philharmonic Society of Lefkada, Kontari Street, 31100 Lefkada
Museum of Phonograph and old items
It is a small private museum that was created with lots of good taste by Dimitris Katopodis (Delimaris) at 12, Kalkani Street, near the town’s central pedestrian road. Among the exhibits there are phonographs, music records, rare utility items, decoratives, tools, small boxes, seals, bank notes, needlework, traditional musical instruments, jewellery and vintage postal cards.
It is open from March to October, daily from 10.00 until 14.00.
Collection of Post-Byzantine Icons
The collection is housed in the first floor of the Public Library’s building, at 11, Rontogiannis Street, at the Marka Square. It hosts icons of Eptanesian style, created by important iconographers such as Doxaras, Patsaras, Roussos, Ventouras, Gazis and many more. There are also icons of Russian Art. The exhibits came from ruined monasteries and churches of the island as well as from private collections. In this exhibition you can also see liturgical vestments, books and other relics from the 16th century on.
Tuesday 11.00 – 19.00
Wednesday to Friday: 08.30 – 14.30
Saturday: 08.30 – 13.30
Entrance is free of charge.
E-mail: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Faneromeni
The monastery of Faneromeni, patroness saint of the island, is located 4 kilometres southwest of the town of Lefkada, outside the village of Fryni. The Ecclesiastical Museum that was founded in 2006 is housed in a special building of the monastery.
In its rooms there are relics of the monastery and exhibits of the local ecclesiastical art and tradition that come from old monasteries that are now abandoned and from several churches. The exhibits cover a large time period from the era of the Ottoman Rule (1479-1684) until the Union of the island with the Greek State in 1864.
Most of the exhibits are works of Eptanesian and Lefkadian painters and are mostly Post-Byzantine icons and parts of iconostases. Of special interest are many ecclesiastical manuscripts and old books from the monastery’s library with rare and old editions of Greek and foreign typographers of the years before and during the Greek Revolution. There are also several notable works of silversmithing, mainly crosses, chalices, lamps, plates, linings from icons and gospels. Finally, an important part of the exhibition holds various vestments and parts of ecclesiastical costumes, as well as antimensia that date back to the 18th and the 19th century.
Open daily (09.00-13.00 and 18.00-20.00)
Information: +302645021105, +302645021305
“Nikos Thanos – Morinas” Maritime Museum
In the basement of the Ecclesiastical Museum of the monastery of Faneromeni there is, since 2011, the Maritime Museum of the conductor Nikos Thanos “Morinas” who donated about 60 handmade wooden models of ships and maritime tools. They are replicas of various sizes of Chinese and Egyptian ships, triremes, galleys, flagships, etc. Among the exhibits there are also depictions of Noah’s Ark, Cleopatra’s flagship in Aktion, the Titanic, battleship Averof etc. They were all manufactured by the donor.
Nikos Thanos “Morinas” was born in Lefkada in 1930. He was a conductor at the “Orfeas” Music and Literature Club of Lefkada, the Philharmonic Society of Lefkada, the Philharmonic Society of Amfilohia and the Mandolin Orchestra of “Apollon” in Karya.
Open daily (09.00-13.00 and 18.00-20.00)
Information: +302645021105, +302645021305
“Kontomihio” Folklore Museum of Sfakiotes
The museum was founded in the summer of 2004 by the former Municipality of Sfakiotes and is housed in the old Elementary School in Kavalos. The school’s building is located at the edge of the village, within a yard full of pine trees with a beautiful view of the village of Sfakiotes and the Lagada, a green-clad gorge that leads to the seaside settlement of Agios Nikitas. The museum’s yard is a very pleasant place with a playground, a basketball court and several pieces of traditional artwork. It was named in honour of the great folklorist Pantazis Kontomihis who was born in Kavalos.
The exhibits are hosted in the spacious hall of the building and in a separate room on the same floor. Most of the museum’s exhibits belong to the collection of Antreas Lazaris. Antreas Lazaris was granted in September 2013 the Academy of Athens award for his contribution to the folkloristic study and research as well as his constant effort for the preservation of the Greek and particularly the Lefkadian tradition. The collection contains about 2500 items that have to do with traditional tools and crafts.
There is also a smaller collection, the one of the late Hristos Katopodis, which is about traditional needlework and costumes of the region. It is hosted in a special separate room. These two collections have been constantly enriched with objects donated by many local villagers.
The exhibits fall into three categories:
The first and largest section involves traditional crafts. It takes up the central space of the hall, where special showcases are full of tools that are connected with specific traditional crafts, such as cooper, farmer, baker, sieve maker, mason, barber, shoe-shine boy, carpenter, lumberjack, builder, farrier, cobbler, carder etc. There are also materials connected with olive cultivation, viticulture, ecclesiastical vessels, military life, beautification as well as certain documents about the everyday life of the local population.
The second section is presented at a special elevated mezzanine and hosts everything related to the traditional Lefkadian residence and includes utensils, tools, textile as well as an oven.
The third section consists mostly of the collection of Hristos Katopodis and includes costumes and needlework from the region of Sfakiotes of Lefkada.
It is usually accessible during the summer months. For your convenience call +302645026635 at the Municipal Cultural Centre of Lefkada before you visit the museum.
Entrance is free of charge.
“Maria Koutsohero” Folklore Museum of Lefkadian Knitwork
It is a private venture initiated in Karya by Theodoros Katopodis, a former dance teacher of the “Apollon” Music and Literature Club of Karya and a very active person when it comes to cultural events.
Among the exhibits there is agricultural equipment (plough, harrow, hoes, threshing barrels and threshing machines for grapes, olive mill with its threshing floor) and a loom with all of its accessories.
The walls are decorated with multicoloured well-designed textiles and famous knitworks of Karya.
The name “Koutsohero” (Limp-handed) was given to Maria Stavraka due to her disability. She was born in 1860 in Karya. Unfortunately, accidents during childhood resulted in her losing her right arm and having a partial disability on her left arm. The young girl overcame these problems and succeeded in inventing the unique knitting technique of Karya, which she later taught in the first School of Knitting of Karya that was established in 1912. She died in 1948, knitting until her final moments.
It is open daily from April to November (09.00 – 21.00)
General entrance: €2.5
Phonograph, Gramophone and Radiophone Museum in Karya
The museum was founded in the summer of 2015 in Karya by the collector Hristos Vlahos (Zloumis). At a space of about 100 square metres there is a big part of his collection of phonographs (that include one of Edison’s five phonographs) 850 tube radiophones and modern ones (the newest dates back to the 60s), 170 gramophones, 100 pickups, reel-to-reel tape recorders, 10 jukeboxes, thousands of gramophone records and 45 rpm vinyl discs, old musical instruments, gramophone furniture and, generally, sound reproducing apparatuses.
Open daily (10.00-20.00)
Museum of the “Apollon” Music and Literature Club of Karya
The “Apollon” Music and Cultural Club in Karya was founded in 1956 and has a particularly rich history in cultural events of Lefkada. Theatrical plays (until 1996), music school (until 2000), dance group, representation of the Rural Wedding (three day event from 1979 until nowadays), “Riganada” Festival (from 1984 until nowadays).
The museum was established in 2012 with the purpose to preserve and promote the cultural history of the club and is housed at a ground floor room of the former Elementary School of Karya. Among its exhibits there are traditional costumes from all of Lefkada and particularly the mountainous part, newspaper clippings, documents, photographs, honorary plaques, awards and mementos from the trips and the participations of the “Apollon” Club in cultural events within and outside the island, traditional costumes from all over Greece, paintings of Vasilis Katopodis that depict the rural wedding and the rural house of Karya and generally of the mountainous part of Lefkada.
The exhibits come from the club’s collections and the donations of the villagers of Karya.
The visit and the tour at the museum are free of charge but have to be prearranged with the people in charge by phone at +302645041388 and +3069322221524.
“Meli 51” Apiary
The only accessible apiary / museum of honey called “Meli 51” is located on the way from Paleokatouna to Neohori, 2.2 kilometres away from Nydri, and belongs to Vasilis Soldatos. It started its operation in the summer of 2016 and provides the visitor with the opportunity to be guided through the magical world of the bees and the honey.
The exhibits include replicas of ancient Greek stone beehives, traditional honey baskets made of reeds, modern wooden beehives, lots of beekeeping tools and a garden with apiary flowers.
The tour also includes observing the bees’ way of working through glass beehives and the production of honey, as well as inspecting the beehives while wearing special apiary suits.
Finally, the visitors can be informed about the products and sub-products of honey and its beneficial properties and taste honey flavours at the shop of “Meli 51”.
Visits and tours at the apiary are performed every hour, from 10.00 am to 9.00 pm and the group tours have to be prearranged with the manager Mr Vasilis Soldatos by phone at +306995151511. Website: www.meli51.gr
“Lefkaditiki Gi” Winery (Land of Lefkas)
The “Lefkaditiki Gi” winery started in 2000 and was initially housed at the village of Syvros and then at a self-owned space on the 8th kilometre of the country road between Nydri and Vasiliki, just before the junction to Syvota.
The visitors can be guided around the premises where old winemaking tools and agricultural machines are exhibited, as well as at the modern winery where they can observe the winemaking process, the maturation and the bottling of the wine. At the same time, they can retrace the history of vineyard keeping and winemaking in Lefkada while walking through the vineyards and the botanical garden that hosts aromatic plants.
In the building complex of the winery there is a special tasting place and a shop.
At “Lefkaditiki Gi” there is also a small but fully equipped museum dedicated to olive oil and its production with an animal-driven olive oil mill.
Visiting is free of charge.
May, June: daily, except Sunday, from 10.00 to 15.00
July, August until September: daily from 10.00 to 15.00
From the 15th of September until the 15th of October: daily, except Sunday, from 10.00 to 15.00.
Other visiting hours can be prearranged by phone at +302645039139
“Fabbrica” Oil Museum
It is a small private museum located in Syvros, a picturesque village of southern Lefkada.
The museum is housed in a building that used to be an olive oil mill and belongs to the Tsarlampas family, one of the oldest and most important families of the island. The building has been declared a listed monument by decision of the Ministry of Culture in 1997. It is part of building complex that includes houses, stables, oil and cereals warehouses etc and is situated in the centre of the settlement. The old olive oil mill was built during the first decades of the 19th century by the ancestors of the current owner and was uninterruptedly operational until 1978. In the beginning it was horse-driven, later on it was equipped with a diesel engine and in the end it had an electric motor.
It was renovated and today it operates as an Olive Museum with a cultural approach of this precious product and presents the traditional production techniques.
There is a tasting space in the museum where olive products are offered along with other local products such as wine, liqueur, sweet and sour pepper marmalade etc.
The museum and its equipment constitute an excellent demonstration of rural tradition, pre-industrial technology and architectural tradition.
It is accessible daily from 10.00 to 14.00 & from 18.00 to 22.00
Information: +30 2645039447 & +306986090413.